A GROUNDBREAKING CEREMONY AT ATTURBURY WASH GREENWAY ON MONDAY, MAY 14, 9:30 A.M.
Who: Tucson Parks and Recreation, Pima County Natural Resources Parks and Recreation, Pima Community College, and Ward 4 Council Member Shirley Scott
What: Groundbreaking Ceremony for the first phase of the Atturbury Wash Greenway from Escalante Road to Fred Enke Drive
When: Groundbreaking Ceremony – Monday, May 14, 2012, 9:30 a.m.
Where: The ceremony will take place in Abraham Lincoln Regional Park, east of the Children’s Outdoor Performance Area (COPA). Enter the park from Pantano Road via Poinciana Drive, park in the lot north of the William Clements Regional Center (8155 E. Poinciana Dr.) and follow the signs.
- First phase of the master-planned Atturbury Wash Greenway which, once completed will connect the future Irvington Road Greenway on the south to the Pantano River Park on the north. This phase completes the section from Escalante Road to Fred Enke Drive.
- The design includes a 12-foot wide paved multi-use path as well as a separate 8-foot wide “soft” (decomposed granite) path and native landscaping.
- This ¾ mile multi-use path will run through Lincoln Park, linking the Fred Enke Golf Course, Pima College East Campus, Clements Center, the Children’s Outdoor Performance Area, the new Lincoln Park Four-field Softball Complex, Lower Lincoln Park, and the Michael Lyman Atturbury Wash Animal and Bird Sanctuary.
- A central plaza is planned along the path at the junction that accesses the Children’s Outdoor Performance Area and the Four-field Softball Complex. This plaza will include benches, picnic tables, and shade ramadas along with the public art provided by artist Jason Butler.
- Construction is scheduled to begin next week and will be completed in the Fall.
The Atturbury Wash Greenway will traverse the corner of the Pima Community College East Campus and we would like to acknowledge Pima College’s support and cooperation throughout the planning, design and construction of this project.
Contact: Liz Baechler, Recreation Supervisor Date: May 10, 2012
520-791-5787 TDD: 791-2639